If you are planning to sell your home, these can be a good way to draw focus to a particular part of a room as well. Here are a few ideas to try:
1. Paint half of a table. This can allow you to showcase 2 types of finishes at one time and this trend has been all over home decor stores this fall.
2. Trade out a lampshade. Often times, lamps come with just plain old boring lampshades. Swap out a dingy beige one for a bold Coral.
3. Separate a sectional couch to make 2 seatings area in one room. This can often times make the room seem much larger. You can use them to frame out a window with a great view.
4. Add some bold color to a room by purchasing picture frames in bright eye-catching colors. They are inexpensive and not a huge commitment like say a boldly colored couch. You can place them on a mantle to draw attention to a fireplace as as selling point.
5. Throw in a small amount of a striking pattern. For example, throw pillows, rugs, and even canvas wall art are great ways to spice up a space with pattern or bold splash of color. Curtains also work well in a pattern and can be used to highlight high ceilings and great windows.
It does not take a major remodel or design overhaul to make a big difference in a room. Set aside a couple of hours this weekend and tackle of one these ideas.