We know spring cleaning can be an overwhelming task and then add in the stress of getting your house ready to sell! Winter is a great time to finally get around to those pesky projects that you’ve been putting off, and now spring is right around the corner. Where should you start?
Knowing how time-consuming the whole process can be, The Carolyn Stark Real Estate Team wants to help you prioritize your spring cleaning! Working with both buyers and sellers has definite advantages! We listen to what buyers say as they walk through house after house, and we want to bring that information to you to help you get your house ready to put on the market!
Here are 4 major areas you should prioritize this spring if you are thinking about selling your house:
- Deep Clean
- Let In Light
- Make It Smell Like ‘HOME’
We know that paying attention to these four areas is sure to impress buyers and help you sell your house faster!
1. It’s time to deep clean!
When potential buyers walk through your house, they want to feel as if they can move right in! Your goal is to make your house look clean, polished and well-kept. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Getting your carpets professionally cleaned is much more affordable than you might think, and it will add value to your house. Be honest with yourself, if your carpets are beyond the point of being professionally cleaned, you might want to think about replacing them.
- Polish all of your fixtures! Bathroom and kitchen faucets, doorknobs, lamps, ceiling fans, etc… A little bit of polish will go a long way in making your home look clean and inviting.
- Add a little oil to your woodwork. A little shine will help your home look inviting. Don’t forget the handrails! These small things might be easy to forget, but the buyers are sure to notice.
- Take a look at your front door. Remember this is your first impression. You might want to repaint it to give it a fresh look. Make sure the door handle is tightly fastened and the lock works.
- Don’t forget to clean both the inside and outside of your windows, including the window sills!
2. Less is more when it comes to cleaning out your house to get ready to sell!
It is time to declutter and simplify the items in your house! Pack things away, donate or purge old items. If you don’t use it now, pack it up or give it away! Your goal is to make your home feel spacious. The less of your ‘stuff’ the buyers can see, the more they can envision the space as their own. Additionally, it’s time to decrease the number of pictures, antiques, and collectibles. Create a space that is open and neutral. Keeping your decorations to a minimum makes it easier for potential buyers to picture where they would put their things.
Here are a few areas to concentrate on:
- Closets (take out at least half of your clothes to make the closet look bigger)
- Kitchen/Bathroom Counters
- Fireplace Mantles
- Cabinets/Pantry Area
- Mudroom Lockers
- Magnets off the Refrigerator
- Any extra or outdated furniture should be moved out!
3. Let there be light!
Lighting is so important but easy to forget. Yes, we are talking about that burnt out light bulb you’ve been walking past! The more light you let in, the more bright and open your house will appear! If you are interested in more ways to increase the lighting in your home, read this blog ‘Lighting Tips to Help Sell Your Home’ from richmondamerican.com.
Here are a few tips:
- It’s time to replace any burnt out light bulbs.
- Make sure all of the bulbs are the same color.
- Soft light/daylight is your best option to make your house look inviting.
- Clean/dust your shades and wash your curtains.
- Light and airy curtains will let in the most light.
- If you want to go the extra mile, adding extra lighting under counter tops will make a big impression.
4. Finally, make it smell like ‘home’.
Right before an open house or a showing, bake a loaf of bread, diffuse cinnamon to make your house smell inviting or use simple air fresheners. Potential buyers who walk through your house need to have a good feeling about the house they choose to buy. That feeling will happen right when they walk in the door! Make sure your house makes a good first impression. Adding a slight scent that is warm and inviting will do the trick.
There is a lot that goes into creating a spacious, warm and inviting home.
All of your hard work deep cleaning, simplifying, adding in light and making your house smell like ‘home’ will pay off in the end when your house gets sold fast and for top dollar!!
Are you wondering how much your house can sell for this spring? Here is a quick and easy home evaluation.
The Carolyn Stark Real Estate Team is here to assist you with any further questions you might have about buying or selling a house.
Follow us on Facebook for continual updates.