Now, more than ever, people around the world are looking for different ways to virtually connect with their family and friends. Luckily, technology has evolved so much that video chatting, playing games and field trips are all possible from the comfort of your own home. To help, we created a list of activities to help you connect with those you love, or simply to relieve boredom without leaving your home.
1. Video Calls
Are you bored of just texting back and forth? Video calls have become the norm. It is a fun way to virtually connect with family and friends. Here are a few video chatting options:
- Google Hangouts
- Facebook Messenger
Webcams are a great way to see nature at its finest, without being there in person. Here are a few local Webcams to check out:
- Wolf River Cam: http://www.wolfrivercam.com/
- 1000 Island Eagle Cam on FB page: https://www.facebook.com/1000IslandsKaukauna/
- Mississippi River Cam: https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/mississippi-river-flyway-cam
- Critter Cam: https://www.wildlifeforever.org/home/conservation/critter-cams/
- Madison Gas and Electric Falcon Cam: https://livestream.com/accounts/12182108/events/4004765
3. Virtual Field Trips
Virtual Field Trips are a perfect way to explore without having to leave the comfort of your house! Try these field trips:
- Go Valley Kids: https://govalleykids.com/virtual-field-trips/
- Georgia Aquarium: https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/ocean-voyager/
4. Online Games
Try playing an online game. If you simply go to your app store, you can find tons of games that you could play with someone while miles apart. There are so many different games to choose from, and it’s a simple way to virtually connect with friends when you can’t go out and be with each other.
One app that comes highly recommended is called Houseparty: https://houseparty.com/ Read this article about the most popular Houseparty games: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a32187045/houseparty-app-games/
Furthermore, if you are looking for something a bit more advanced, you could consider getting a Steam Account. When you have a Steam account, thousands of different PC games are at your fingertips, some more advanced than others. This is different from games that you could play on your phone; you will need a computer to play these more involved games.
Get a Steam Account (for PC gamers) here: https://store.steampowered.com/join/
Additionally, you could download the Tabletop Simulator from your Steam account: https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/. This simulator has thousands of simulated board games that other people have created for you to play. It is a bit more advanced, and the person you want to play against would also need a Steam account, or you can just join one of the thousands of games already being played. This option takes a bit more work to get started, but once you get set up and signed in, your choices are endless.
5. Virtual Book Clubs
Are you interested in creating or joining a book club? There are so many different options out there. Here are a few book clubs to look into:
6. Movie Night
Movie Nights are the best, especially when you can hang out with your friends at the same time. Try Netflix Party!
Netflix Party – https://www.netflixparty.com/
7. Online Stories
Do you have kids at home? Try these online stories:
- Storyline Online: https://www.storylineonline.net/
- Indianapolis Public Library: https://www.indypl.org/blog/for-parents/free-video-read-alouds
- Tumblebooks: https://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
- Scholastic Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheScholasticChannel/search?query=weston+woods
During this unprecedented time, it is important to virtually stay connected to family and friends. This list is by no means all of the options out there, but simply a glimpse at some of the great ways you can continue to socialize and explore while staying at home.
Are you wondering how much your house can sell for this spring? Here is a quick and easy home evaluation.
The Carolyn Stark Real Estate Team is here to assist you with any further questions you might have about buying or selling a house.
Follow us on Facebook for continual updates.